Fondo FUN!

Tehachapi Gran Fondo is going on this weekend! You can find out more about what the Fondo is here. I am competing in the Fun Fondo of which is the small 16 mile course with a mere 762 foot climb. When I first came across this opportunity taking place in my local town I knew immediately that I would enter.  It has been about 16 or so years since I have done anything remotely so ambitious and I am thrilled to be involved.

The Fun Fondo is a completely different monster in that it is a race versus a just for fun benefit ride. I did a two day benefit ride from Ontario to Palm Springs 16 or so years ago with some friends that had experience with this ride. A  major plus. The first day kicked off at the Ontario Mall and ended at a Campground/ park area.  Riders made arrangements before hand to either stay at the campground or be bussed over to a nearby hotel. My seasoned veteran rider friends were all over the bus ride to the hotel.  I would have opted for the camping just for the experience of it all.  However, after a long 6 or so hours of riding your bike a little jacuzzi time is the best medicine.  I was thankful for the wisdom of my friends.  Jacuzzi time, a soft bed and an early wake up call to do it all over again on day two.

Day two, by the way, hurts much more than day one and no, the pain is not in your legs.  Day two definitely took its toll on me.  I was caught by the "end".  The guy at the end of all the riders with the beautiful sign on his back that says "End".  Oh well. One of the volunteer vans picked me up and I caught a free ride to the next rest stop. The finish line was an awesome sight! I peddled through there with every ounce of whatever I had left in me.

The whole experience of the benefit ride left me wanting more.  It has taken me 16+ years to do something like it again, however in between that time I raised a family to greet me at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment